Crunchyroll Announces Spy x Family
Date: 2021 November 22 20:41
Posted by Joe
The good folks from anime streaming giants Crunchyroll have sent us details of their upcoming titles. The headline announcement is the release of Spy x Family, based on the manga of the same name it follows a master spy working in a cold war European-esque country. His newest mission requires him to build a family in order achieve his objective. This action comedy has been highly anticipated by fans of the manga (this includes us). Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Hunter x Hunter, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn) on board as Director while Kazuaki Shimada (The Promised Neverland) serving as Character Designer.
Other titles lined up for 2022 include Dance Dance Danseur (it's about dancing if you didn't guess), Aoashi which is based on the football (soccer) manga, plus the second season of the spooky In/Spectre.
Press release as follows:
Crunchyroll announces Spy x Family alongside a slate of new series
Crunchyroll, the global anime brand, announced today a huge slate of new and upcoming anime series at Anime NYC, including the highly anticipated SPY x FAMILY, based on the award-winning manga of the same name, alongside Aoashi, A Couple of Cuckoos and more. The brand also premiered an exclusive clip from Blade Runner: Black Lotus.
SPY x FAMILY follows the life of an undercover spy who unknowingly marries an assassin as he tries to further his mission of infiltrating an elite academy. He enrolls his adoptive daughter into the academy, not knowing that she is a telepath! The anime will stream on Crunchyroll in 2022. The series is produced by WIT STUDIO and CloverWorks, with Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Hunter x Hunter, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn) on board as Director and Kazuaki Shimada (The Promised Neverland) serving as Character Designer. The anime will be based on the award-winning manga, which has been serialised in Shueisha's Shonen Jump+ with more than 12.5 million copies currently in print.
Additional new anime series heading to Crunchyroll include:
- Aoashi - This anime is based on the cutting edge soccer manga of the same name, following a young soccer ace as he takes his career to the next level. Coming to Crunchyroll April 2022.
- A Couple of Cuckoos - This chaotic romantic comedy follows two high school students who were mixed up at birth and find themselves in a pretend romance! Coming soon to Crunchyrol.
- Dance Dance Danseur - The first anime adaptation from popular manga artist Asakura George follows the passionate adolescence of a group of ballet dancers. The upcoming series will be produced by MAPPA and directed by Sakai Munehisa
- The Dawn of the Witch - This new anime follows a normal boy and his companions who set out to truly find themselves as they encounter the magical and extraordinary. Coming April 2022.
- Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - This romantic comedy follows sweet Shikimori who transforms into a heartthrob when her boyfriend is in trouble! Coming April 2022.
- In/Spectre Season 2 - This Crunchyroll Original series follows the supernatural romance of Kotoko and Kuro as they solve new mysteries. Coming 2022.
- Tomodachi Game - This series questions the nature of humanity when faced with the ultimate psychological game and is based on the popular comic series that has sold more than two million copies. Coming April 2022.
connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories through the content they love. In addition to free ad-supported and subscription premium content, Crunchyroll serves the anime community across fan-favorite content, social engagement, events, games, consumer products, content distribution and creation, and manga publishing.
Anime fans have access to one of the largest collections of licensed anime through Crunchyroll, Anime Digital Network (in partnership with Citel, a subsidiary of Média-Participations), and Anime on Demand video streaming services, translated in multiple languages for viewers worldwide. Viewers can also access simulcasts - top series available immediately after Japanese broadcast. Crunchyroll's services extend to licensing of theatrical, TV, home video, consumer product, and video game rights.
Crunchyroll's live events include Crunchyroll Expo, Anime Awards, Crunchyroll Movie Nights, and KAZÉ Anime Nights. Crunchyroll also delivers tens of thousands of consumer products to fans around the world through owned eCommerce stores and physical retail partners (Crunchyroll, KAZÉ, AV Visionen), Crunchyroll Games, KAZÉ Games, and manga (KAZÉ Manga, Crunchyroll Manga app, Crunchyroll Manga Store).
Crunchyroll was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Lausanne, Chisinau, and Berlin (AV Visionen). VRV (United States) and Eye See Movies (Germany) are also Crunchyroll brands. Crunchyroll was acquired in August 2021 by Funimation Global Group, a joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment Japan.